I thought it would be fun to post the recipe for what I made for dinner after our long Monday this week. There is no doubt in my mind that these types of days are handed to us all and often there is no energy left to even consider making dinner. If such a Monday finds you in the near future, print this out and keep it on hand.
Beef In A Hurry
Beef for stewing (cut in chunks, ready for a stew, usually packaged with some such title)
1. Spray pan, or add oil, your preference. Heat. Add beef and allow to brown.
2. While beef browns cut onion in slices.
3. Flip beef. Brown on the other side.
4. Pile onions on top of beef. Stir once or twice.
5. Pour salsa on top (as much as you want, really)
6. Add beef broth until the contents are almost submerged.
7. Put a lid on it and let it cook.
"Special" Rice and Corn.
Equal parts rice and chicken broth
1. Heat the broth until boiling
2. Add equal amount of rice.
3. Stir, cover and turn down to a simmer for about 20 mins.
4. Fluff and add corn.
There you have it. All of this was done and set to simmer in about 15 minutes. I let the meat dish cook for a little over an hour. It could have cooked longer, but if it had cooked a little less that would have been fine as well I am sure. I stole a moment with both kids slightly occupied and threw this together as fast as I could. The chicken broth makes the rice super flavorful. I turned it off after adding the corn, while the meat dish kept cooking. But it was done and ready to be enjoyed despite what the rest of the afternoon held for us! Our son loves the salsa we had, so he loved all of the meal. A win for sure. The beauty of something like this is that you really use what is in the fridge and in whatever proportions suit your tastes. I served this with cheese on top and some sour cream and lettuce. You can add tomatoes, more salsa, jalepenos, etc... Let us know if you try this dish, we would love to hear from you guys!